Facebook launched a new feature that combats fake news. Rolling out to U.S. users, these new feature affects all articles posted to news feeds stated below.
When users post an article to their feeds, the post will contain more information about the article. The information includes the following:
- Publisher’s Wikipedia page (if any)
- Related articles
- Amount of times people shared the article on Facebook
- Location of shares
- Option to follow the publisher’s page
- More stories by the publisher, which will give people a quick snapshot of the other recent stories posted by the publisher
- Friends who shared the article, which will show people any of their friends who have shared the article
Currently, Facebook is also testing a feature that provides more information about an article’s author including Wikipedia entry, option to follow author’s page or profile, and previous articles published.
These changes come as a result of fake news stories from various media outlets and outside sources.
Facebook research Team involved the Facebook community, academics, and industry partners. Together, they found that additional information about a news story helps users evaluate whether or not a source is trustworthy and can act accordingly. Facebook’s new feature is the result of those findings.
#fakenews #socialmedia #facebook #newsfeed